The NGO Bureau has halted operations for Chapter Four Uganda, Citizens Coalition for Electoral Democracy in Uganda and other 52 Non Governmental Organizations over non-compliance with the NGO Act 2016.
23 NGOs. were found operating with expired permits. 15 failed to file annual returns and audited books of accounts while 16 were operating without registering with the NGO Bureau.
“The NGO Bureau established that 23 NGOs are operating with expired permits contrary to section 31 (1) and 32(1) of the NGO Act 2016 15 NGOs have failed to file annual returns and audited books of accounts to the NGO Bureau contrary to section 39(2) and (3) of the NGO Act 2016 and have other non-compliance issues and 16 NGOs are operating without registering with the NGO Bureau contrary to section 29 (1), 31 (1) and 31 (2),” Okello Stephen the Executive Director NGO Bureau told journalists at the Uganda Media Centre.
He said Chapter Four and CCEDU are among the 15 NGO’s suspended indefinitely for failure to file annual returns and audited books of accounts and have other non compliance issues.
Nicholas Opiyo the founder of Chapter Four a non-profit organization which deals in protection of human rights Said their indefinite suspension is a result of a misunderstanding since they filled their necessary documents in January this year.
“The National Bureau for NGOs has notified us of the indefinite suspension of the permit of @chapterfourug for what they term failure to file returns & disclosing our sources of funding. We are working with the authorities to clarify what we believe is a misunderstanding,” he said.
Opiyo added “We’ll be writing to the National Bureau for NGOs reminding them of this & other documents filed with them & other authorities in Jan this year. Audited accounts, source of funding et al. We’ve always acted above board & repudiate any representation of unlawful conduct on our part.”
On her part Charity Ahimbisibwe the Execcutive Director, CCEDU confirmed being notified in the indefinite suspension but said details are with the company’s lawyer Anthony Masake.
Meanwhile, the Executive Director NGO Bureau called upon stakeholders from the National, District and Sub-County levels to help in enforcing these decisions by ensuring that these affected organisations halt their operations with immediate effect.
Below is a full list of the halted NGOs
A. Halted the operations of the following NGOs operating with expired NGO permits;
1. Africa Institute for Energy Governance (AFIEGO)
2. Western Ankole Civil Society Forum (WACSOF)
3. Citizens’ concerns Africa
4. Elohim Power Transforming Africa
5. Orone Foundation
6. Light Concepts
7, Public Policy Institute
8. Otubet Youth United Development Organization
9. Support Girl Child Uganda
10. Saints Preparation Ministries
11. Adoradon Ministries
12. Islamic Da-awah and Orphanage Foundation
13.Jesus Shines Youth Ministries International
14. La Bome Missionary Centre Uganda
15. Wanyange Child Support Foundation
16. St. Francis Foundation for the Poor
17. Ray of Hope International Uganda
18. Mind-set Change Development Organisation
19. Liberty international Foundation
20. Foundation for Women Empowerment for Sicklier Aid
21. Karambi Action for Life Improvement
22. Tech Plus Love Foundation
23. Centre for Justice Studies and Innovations
B. Indefinitely suspended the following NGOs that have consistently failed to file annual returns and audited books of accounts and have other noncompliance issues.
1. Chapter Four Uganda 2016- 2020
2. Citizens Coalition for Electoral Democracy in Uganda (CCEDU) 20192020
3. Ferrite Uganda Women Writers’ Association 2017- 2020
4. African Humanitarian Action 2017 – 2020
5. Safe Places Uganda Foundation (SPU) 2017- 2020
6. Citizens Platform for Democracy and Accountability 2017- 2020
7. Growth Networks Uganda 2017- 2020
8. Pallisa Civil Society Organisation Networks 2017- 2020
9. Citizens Election Watch-IT (CEw-1R1) 2017, 2019, 2020
10. Youth Line Forum Uganda 2017-2020
11. Arise Africa International 2018-2020
12. Dotwa Africa 2018-2020
13. Rwenzori Consortium for Civic Competence 2018-2020
14. Centre for Conflict Resolution 2019 – 2020
15. Youth Equality Centre 2019-2020
C. Halted the activities of NGOs operating without registering with the NGO
1. Great Lakes Institute for Strategic Studies (GLISS)
2. Rural Action Community Based Organization
3. Uganda Help Florida
4. Centre for Sustainability Innovation and Research
5. Environmental Governance Institute Uganda
6. Graffen Organization, Buümba Uganda
7. Kwataniza Women’s Organization
8. Twimukye Women’s Organization
9. Witness Radio Uganda
10. Youth for Green Communities
11. Self-worth Initiative
12. VZW Eight
13. Adept Pentecostal International Church Uganda Ltd
14. Innovations for Democratic Engagement and Action (IDEA)
15. Network for Active Citizens
16. Leadership Square Africa .