
Uganda’s Ministry of Health has confirmed three new cases of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), bringing the total number of confirmed infections in the country to five.
The update was issued in a press release dated today May, 23. Separately, regional leaders and health partners convened in Kampala for a high-level ministerial meeting on cross-border coordination for the Ebola outbreak response.
The meeting, held at Speke Resort Munyonyo, brought together senior government officials, ministers of health from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and South Sudan, representatives from Africa CDC, and development partners to strengthen regional preparedness and cooperation.
According to the Ministry of Health, the three newly confirmed Ebola cases include a Ugandan driver who transported the country’s first confirmed case and a Ugandan health worker who was exposed while caring for the same patient. Both are currently receiving treatment and had already been identified as known contacts under follow-up.
The third confirmed case involved a Congolese woman residing in the DRC. The Ministry said she entered Uganda through Arua while experiencing mild abdominal symptoms before traveling to Entebbe by chartered flight. She later sought treatment at a private hospital in Kampala on May 10, 2026.
Health officials stated that the woman was treated and discharged in stable condition on May 14 before returning to the DRC. However, a tip-off from the pilot who transported her prompted further investigation by surveillance teams. A retrieved sample later tested positive for Ebola Virus Disease.
The Ministry of Health said all identified contacts linked to the confirmed cases are being closely monitored by response teams.
Officials urged the public to remain calm, vigilant, and continue observing Ebola prevention measures, emphasizing that early reporting and treatment improve survival chances.
Meanwhile, the regional ministerial meeting focused on strengthening collaboration among neighboring countries to prevent further spread of the virus across borders.
Permanent Secretary Dr. Diana Atwine called for commitment and transparency during the outbreak response, saying, “No one is safe until everyone is safe.”
Africa CDC Director General Dr. Jean Kaseya praised President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni for Uganda’s rapid response efforts and commended Dr. Atwine for leading the national response strategy. He stressed that the outbreak response “will be led by Africa, for Africa, and by Africans.”
The Minister of Health from the DRC, Dr. Roger Samuel Kamba, warned that disease outbreaks do not respect borders and highlighted the need for coordinated regional action to protect communities.
South Sudan’s Minister of Health, Hon. Luke Thompson, welcomed the timely convening of the meeting and emphasized that community engagement and public trust remain critical to an effective response.
At the conclusion of the meeting, participating countries agreed on urgent actions outlined in a joint communique. The measures include strengthening cross-border surveillance and early warning systems, improving preparedness at points of entry, protecting frontline workers and vulnerable communities, strengthen risk communication and community engagement, strengthen clinical management and infection prevention & control, strengthen operational coordination and incident management, mobilizing sustainable financing and operational support, strengthen regional preparedness and health security, sustain high-level political leadership and regional solidarity, and advancing long-term regional health security.
The Ministry of Health said it continues to strengthen surveillance, contact tracing, case management, infection prevention, and public awareness efforts as Uganda works to contain the outbreak.











Sunrise reporter
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published.